Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Beat Depression with a Bible and a Broom

 When your feeling down and blue,
here is something you can do.
Just grab a broom, vaccum, or mop,
and you will find the depression stops

  This post comes as a result of my laziness.  When afternoon rolled around and I still hadn't taken a shower and wasn't dressed and I had nothing to show for my morning of laziness except that my kids were dressed and fed, I started to feel depressed.  Very depressed.  I have a bad habit of not being motivated sometimes.  I am a stay at home mom so I don't have to get up, get dressed and go to work anymore.  Don't get me wrong, I love being a stay at home mom.  I wouldn't trade it for anything.  But that doesn't mean I have to sit around and be lazy.  The lazier I am, the more depressed I become.  I have only myself to blame.  I know that on days when I get up and get motivated early I feel much better.  If you are a stay at home mom like me and you have days that sound like this, then maybe this advice will help you.
  The bible tells us, in Ecclesiastes 10:18, "If a man is lazy, the rafters sag, if his hands are idle, the house leaks."  I think this is great motivation for getting things done.  The lazier we are, the more our house falls apart.  Literally and figuratively.  As moms, we are the glue that holds our households together.  If we start to get to lazy and depressed, things start to fall apart.  My advice to you is this:  If you are depressed, first look to God.  There is nothing he can't get you through.  All you have to do is ask.  I have been spending more and more time with God lately and I have to say, it has made a huge improvement in every aspect of my life.  My marriage is better and I yell at my kids less.  I have very few days (not including today!) where I feel depressed.  I keep myself in touch with God and he gives me everything I need.  The second thing I advise is to pick up a broom.  There is nothing more satisfying to me than seeing my house clean.  Just doing one or two chores is enough to lift my depression.  It means there is that much less to do tomorrow.  Also remind yourselves that there is always going to be laundry and dishes to do so it's okay if they are not always caught up.  Happy praying and scrubbing!!     

No comments:

Post a Comment