Thursday, April 19, 2012

Lessons from Barbie

     I recently rented the movie Barbie Princess Charm School for my daughter. She loves the Barbie movies and I have to admit, I don't mind them either. There is usually a good lesson about being yourself and doing what's right in each movie. In this particular movie, Barbie goes to Princess Charm School to learn how to be a Lady Royal. She finds a mentor in one of the instructors and she starts getting some extra help. In one of the scenes, the instructor is balancing on one foot on a rock with a big stack of books in each hand and a flower pot on top of her head.
     Have you ever felt like that instructor? I have!! But I wasn't quite as graceful as she was. I always fall off the rock and so did Barbie. We can't start out trying to balance everything at once. We have to start small and work our way up with practice and a firm rock to stand on. If Jesus Christ is our rock, then we have started our daily balancing act on the best possible foundation. I have found that if I start my day with Him, I will have a better day. When I don't, I feel even more out of balance.
     As moms, there are things we have to balance each day. These are our necessities. Taking care of our husbands, kids, and our own physical and spiritual needs, taking care of our homes, and shuttling kids here and there makes for a busy day. Amidst those three items, there are tons of little things that go on and in order to have a good balance some of those little things need to remain "little things". You've heard the expression "Don't sweat the small stuff?" That's what I mean. We won't ever find balance if we keep trying to balance all the little things on top of the big things. I wonder if that instructor from the Barbie movie would have been as graceful if she had a bunch of little marbles on top of those big stacks of books? Some how I think not.
     I hope that I could encourage you a little with these words, but most of all, I hope you have that firm foundation in Christ to start your day. If He can balance the whole world and all its problems, it's nothing for Him to help you with yours. Here's a little something to help you remember:

B  egin your day with Christ as your foundation. He won't fail you. Ever.

A  sk God continually for help. He doesn't mind. Really.

L  earn what your "little things" are and keep them "little things".

A  sk God continually for help. Over and over.

N  ever give up trying. You will get it, it just takes practice!

C  ontrol only what you can. Give God everything else.

E  njoy your life. Our families are our blessings from the Lord!

     Have a beautiful week!!

3 comments:

  1. Love your acronym and I like the most of the Barbie movies too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your suggestions today.. especially the reminder to let the small things go- and to ENJOY life. You're right- our families are pure blessing and sometimes we let them feel like our biggest burdens. Glad I stopped by today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great acronym and powerful suggestions!

    ReplyDelete