Friday, February 19, 2010

Reaching Out

     When I first became a stay at home mom, I was thrilled.  I loved not getting up and going to a stressful job anymore.  I loved that my kids would be home with me and not in a daycare setting.  I quickly realized that being a stay at home mom was going to be more difficult than I thought.  I was lonely.  I was used to seeing people at work and communicating with other women.  I didn't have that anymore.  I started to get depressed and I knew I needed to find some women to talk to.  That's when I joined MOPS.  It was great, but I didn't feel like I was making any friends.  I prayed for God to help me find some friends, but it just wasn't happening.  I went through my first year of MOPS and I felt better, but I still didn't have anyone that I felt like I connected with. 
     I started my second year of MOPS this year and I was determined to make some friends.  I loved my table group and we started to get together for coffee in addition to our MOPS meetings.  This is a good start, I thought, but I still didn't feel like I was connecting.  And then it dawned on me.  I wasn't reaching out.  I was waiting for all these great relationships to fall in my lap without having to do anything.  That wasn't gonna cut it.  I had to step out of my comfort zone and reach out.  I love interacting with other people, but I don't often initiate the interaction.  I realized that if I wanted to make some great friends I was going to have to reach out more because there just might be someone out there that had a problem that I could be the answer to.  I saw a great video titled "The Confident Woman" and it really did make me feel more confident and able to step out of my comfort zone and be the answer (watch the video and you'll see what I mean by that).  I hope the video will help you to have the same "aha" moment that I had when I first saw it.

No comments:

Post a Comment