Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Fruits of the Spirit vs. the Nuts of the World: Love vs. Sex

     I was listening to a psychiatrist who came to speak at my MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) Group last month and one of the things he talked about was how we all just want to be loved.  Boy is that the truth.  When I was a young lady, everyone always told me that I acted older than my age.  I think the reason I did this is because I always knew, deep down, that I wanted to be a wife and mom more than anything else.  I didn’t want to be a teenager, I hated high school and thought that the person who said that high school was supposed to be the best years of your life must be nuts.


     I wanted to be a grown up and have a husband that I loved more than anyone else.  I wanted children of my own to love and raise and I wanted to be loved in return by my husband and my children.  I was in such a hurry to be loved, that I mistook sex for love and found myself in some meaningless relationships and then an abusive marriage.  Eventually I learned that if I wanted to truly be loved, I must have more respect for myself then what I currently had and I needed to realize that sex was not love.  In 1 Corinthians 6:18 the bible says, “Flee from sexual immorality.  All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body”(NIV).  I decided to focus on getting my life back in order and treating myself and my body with more respect.  As soon as I started making changes to my life for the better, that’s when God stepped in and introduced me to my husband.
     Since then, I have found the true love that I always wanted.  I have a very loving husband and two wonderful children.  I have a better relationship with God then I ever had because I started looking to him for guidance instead of this world.  He helps me to truly love.  Romans 13:9-10 sums up what the bible has to say about love.  It says, “The commandments, “Do not commit adultery,” “Do not murder,” “Do not steal,” “Do not covet,” and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”  “Love does no harm to its neighbor.  Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law”(NIV).  By learning what the bible says about love and sex, I was able to truly love and be loved in return. 

No comments:

Post a Comment