Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Trials, Trials, and More Trials

     For the last 3 weeks my family has been put to the test.  We all got sick with some sort of cold virus that is just lingering and lingering.  We can't seem to get rid of it.  If you are a stay at home mom like me, then you very well understand how difficult it is to be stuck in your house with sick 2 and 3 year olds.  Not only did myself and my kids get sick, my husband also got sick.  Then, to top it off, my husbands grandfather passed away.  This was a huge loss for my husband and his family.  So the only time we got out of the house in those first two weeks was for a funeral.  We thought we were recovering from the virus, and then my son had a relapse.  So now we are at three weeks of not being able to interact with the rest of humanity (and to me, grocery shopping is not interacting!)  I know that God says we will go through trials in our lives, but I kind of feel like I have gotten mine all in one dose.  It's kind of hard to take and it is very depressing. 
     That's when I looked to the bible to try to get some idea of what to expect out of these trials, and I wasn't disappointed.  In the New Testament, in the book of James, I found what I was looking for.  Chapter 1, verses 2-4 say, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.  Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."  It is hard, right now, to see how these trials are going to make me more mature and complete.  However, when I think back to the other trials I have faced in my life, I know that down the road, be it a couple weeks, or months, or even years, the lessons I have learned in the last few weeks will make me a more mature and complete person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment